Caused by submental fat underneath the skin, a double chin can be a source of embarrassment and frustration. With a range of cosmetic treatment options available which can be very effective at treating a double chin, often the only thing preventing you from seeking treatment is deciding which option will work best for you.
While there are several treatments to choose from, neck liposuction and fat dissolving injections are some of the most popular.
Here we provide an overview of how each treatment works, the expected recovery, the cost and the results to help you decide which might be right for you.
Liposuction is a popular cosmetic treatment that has grown in popularity rapidly since first originating in Europe in the 1960’s. While the technique is most commonly used on areas of the body such as the stomach, hips, buttocks and thighs, the treatment can be used on almost any location where fat cells can accumulate.
When performed underneath the chin, neck liposuction can be highly effective at eliminating a double chin and producing a more appealing chin and neckline.
- How it works: By making some discreet incisions under the neck and ears, fat is carefully extracted using a cannula and suction device to alter the chin’s profile. The procedure itself can be performed in around 1-2 hours with either local or general anaesthetic through a cosmetic surgery practice like this neck liposuction Melbourne clinic.
- The recovery: During the first 24 hours following the procedure most patients will experience some moderate pain in the chin and neck area which can usually be managed with pain medication. A full recovery post-procedure can take several weeks, with patients needing to wear a chin brace at all times for 2-4 weeks. After this period, patients will be able to stop wearing the brace during the day, only using it overnight for another couple of weeks.
- The cost: In terms of cost, depending on where you have the procedure performed you should expect neck liposuction to cost around $1,500. The procedure only needs to be performed once, so you shouldn’t need to pay for any additional treatments.
- The results: As the submental fat is completely removed from the body, neck liposuction can achieve fantastic results. After puberty, the body stops producing new fat cells which means the results are essentially permanent. You will also be able to see the final result after only a few weeks.
Fat Dissolving Injections
Fat dissolving injections can also be very effective at eliminating a double chin and creating a slimmer neck profile.
- How they work: Consisting of a synthetic form of deoxycholic acid (an acid which naturally occurs in our bodies), the injections work to eliminate submental fat underneath the chin by destroying the fat cell membranes to release the fat from within the cells. Treatments themselves can be performed in a cosmetic clinic very quickly, generally only taking around 15-30 minutes.
- The recovery: As a less invasive cosmetic treatment, you can expect the recovery following fat dissolving injections to be quicker than neck liposuction. Patients often notice some swelling and feel a sunburn-like sensation around the treatment area for a few days following treatment. Unlike neck liposuction, you won’t need to wear a chin brace. Most patients notice side effects become less intense after their first few treatments.
- The cost: You can expect a single treatment to cost anywhere from $1,200 to $1,800. While the number of treatments required will depend on the individual, most patients notice a significant improvement in around two to four treatments.
- The results: After several treatments, you can expect to achieve a similar result to neck liposuction. As treatments need to be spaced around six weeks apart, it may take longer to see the final result. Like neck liposuction, the results from fat dissolving injections are also permanent.
When deciding which option is right for you, it’s important to listen to the advice of your clinician who will recommend the most appropriate treatment for your individual circumstances.