If you have been involved in a road incident, there are various things that you should do to ensure that the whole situation is dealt with appropriately. As well as ensuring that you have the relevant information you need in the event of an injury claim being pursued, you must take care of your well being and recovery. Here are 4 things to do if you have been involved in a road traffic accident.

Insurance information

If the police or other professional services are called to the incident, they will most likely ingather as much information as they can. If this isn’t the case, it’s a good idea for you to take some details. If, for example, a minor two-car collision took place, you must exchange car insurance details. It’s also important to take note of the other vehicle’s license plate details as you will need this for your insurance company in the event of a claim. If there were eyewitnesses to the incident, it might be a good idea to get their details too.

Contact a doctor

Whilst this may not always be necessary, if you have been injured, it’s wise to get yourself checked out. If you intend making an injury claim, a report will be needed, so it’s important to go through the right channels. If you reside in New York, for example, there are hundreds of doctors that can assess you, but it’s a wise idea to use one that specializes in no-fault car accident injuries. Whether you are looking for Bronx car accident doctors or an injury specialist in Queens or Staten Island, many companies can help.

Give yourself time to recover

Depending on how severe the accident was and the extent of your injuries, you may need to take some time to recover. Many people need time away from work following an accident. If you feel that you do, contact your employers and let them know what’s happened and how long you feel your recovery will take. It is better to be off for a week now than go back too soon and be off for a month further down the line. Take your time to rest and recuperate as necessary.

Consider counseling

If the accident was particularly traumatic, you may need professional help. Speak to your health professional and, if necessary, ask for a referral to be made to a counselor. Many people suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder following an accident so, although there are no physical scars, there may be mental scars that can take time to recover from. Counseling will allow you to talk to someone that can help your mind heal from the accident. You may be given exercises to do to help your brain to think differently about the event. You must never be frightened to ask loved ones for help. Sometimes just talking to family or friends can make all the difference. Just make sure you aren’t suffering in silence. It really could hinder your rehabilitation.